The Director of Global Brand Management will develop long term global strategies for Columbia sub-brands (Columbia Titanium, Columbia PFG, Columbia Montrail, OmniHeat, OutDry Extreme, and other technology “ingredient” brands) that support the master Columbia brand strategy provided by the Brand President, as well as seasonal, annual, and promotional strategic stories that deliver globally on short term goals while always building the long-term positioning of the Columbia brand and sub-brands.
Implement core global brand building media such as social media and content marketing while also leading a team that serves as a resource to regional marketing director teams who implement in region and in country. Efforts will increase awareness, relevance and sales of the Columbia brand and sub-brands among target consumer groups, growing share globally and successfully positioning Columbia as the leading outdoor brand.
This position requires the ability to personally manage positioning and communications for our most important brand (Columbia) and to lead other managers who will guide our global positioning and communication strategies and tactics for Columbia sub-brands and associated categories, including traditional media, content marketing, social media, public relations, influencer marketing, and partnerships.
- Create well-documented positioning and communication plans. Make sure sub-brands, categories, and technologies align across the company and ladder up to the master Columbia brand strategy, positioning, and communication plan.
- Communicate these strategies with brevity, clarity, and persuasive power.
- Create annual, seasonal, and opportunistic stories that create demand for the new products, colors, and assortments created by the merchandising team and stay true to the brand strategy and positioning objectives.
- Work with VP Global Brand Marketing and direct reports who specialize in various media types, and agencies to determine the annual, holistic, global media strategies, appropriate investments and specific tactics based on proper analysis of risks and opportunities.
- Measure all campaigns by creating clear objectives prior to investment and setting appropriate KPIs, providing analysis, and reporting results, attribution, and recommended optimizations with a sense of urgency that allows for greatest impact.
- Specify key processes and measurable objectives that align to both seasonal and long-term brand and product goals of the company.
- Manage team and agency resources to ensure that objectives are achieved and deliverables are in step with broader marketing initiatives.
- Measure team performance with specific metrics and adjust direction and tactics as market conditions warrant.
- Create and actively manage brand communication budgets, reviewing team and vendor expenses, and hold agency accountable for retainer and expenditures.
- Seek and Integrate global feedback from both consumers and internal stakeholders to ensure the creation of assets that serve a global audience.
- Develop marketing materials and collateral including brand guidelines, videos, digital marketing, long-form articles, social media, seasonal messaging, executive talking points, look books, press kits, pitch letters, etc.
- Maintain close collaboration with regional marketing staff and regional agencies, to ensure alignment of plans, tactics and global measurement.
- Ensure initiation and maintenance of positive relationships with media. Includes in-person briefings, event attendance, story pitching and responding to editor inquiries.
- Work closely with senior company executives, providing briefings and high-level media guidance in an effort to place high-profile, brand-enhancing stories.
- Update company leadership on key wins and distribute company-wide reports on a regularly basis to utilize coverage and provide momentum to sales initiatives.
- Serve as a subject matter expert to assist Columbia Sportswear Company’s broader brand portfolio on occasion and as directed.
- Represent brand at industry function/activities and tradeshows.
- Assist in the development and coordination of media tours, press events and trade shows.
- Frequently initiates contacts on his/her own with 75% being by phone/email and the remainder via face-to-face interaction.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, MBA preferred.
- Experience specializing in consumer brand management, brand strategy, and brand communications, particularly national media, content marketing, social media, and influencer marketing.
- At least 10 years consumer brand management and/or brand strategy experience, with a minimum of five years in a demonstrated supervisory capacity.
- Outdoor industry experience preferred.
- Possess extensive knowledge of the public relations function.
- Extensive knowledge of media relations principles and procedures.
- Well developed ability to read, write, and speak English.
- Developed writing skills; knowledge of and experience with journalistic style writing.
- Must have excellent verbal communication skills.
- Ability to be creative and innovative, especially in written communications.
- Possess good organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Mental ability to conduct interpersonal interactions with the media, members of the public and Company personnel.
- Ability to represent the company in a manner that enhances its image.
- Ability to solve problems and operate independently and with discretion and work effectively under pressure.
- Physical ability to use telephone, computer hardware/software including keyboard, type, sit and stand for extended periods of time, and occasionally lift/carry up to 10 pounds.
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position's scope and function in the company.
EEO/AA Employer/Vets/Disabled/Race/Ethnicity/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Age