The Key Account Manager will be responsible for growing our brand sales with strategic accounts and will manage the business relationship. This person will work with a team of professionals who are responsible for supporting the sales team in product development, sales analytics, sourcing and logistics and marketing. This person is expected to live in Eugene, Oregon, be active in the vendor community and identify business development opportunities. The successful candidate will have excellent communication and presentation skills and a strong understanding of vendor expectations and retail math.
Account Management and Development
- Prepares and executes sales strategies, programs, and product promotions for strategic accounts.
- Prepares and implements annual business plans and reviews with management team.
- Prepares and presents product line reviews for accounts.
- Grows existing business through the introduction of new products, addition of stores, promotions, training and brand building.
- Prepares and implements plans for identifying and closing new business and entering new sales channels and markets.
- Establishes customer pricing in conjunction with the president and sales manager.
- Visits accounts as needed to build and maintain relationships. Travels to tradeshows and other promotional venues.
- Works with Burley marketing to support strategic accounts and build the Burley brand.
Forecasting and Account Analysis
- Analyzes existing and anticipated customer demand to ensure product availability.
- Prepares, updates and monitors customer sales forecasts.
- Establishes and tracks customer performance metrics (sell thru, inventory, gross margin, etc.).
- Collaborates with all departments within Burley to continuously improve customer performance metrics.
- Participates in strategic and operational planning projects with a focus on improving service levels to our customers, driving operational efficiencies, identifying new product or channel opportunities and additional opportunities to grow our business.
- Monitors competitor activity and reports on significant market trends within our industry.
- Understands the current and future business strategies of accounts and shares this information with Burley’s management team.
- Trains, coaches and mentors direct reports and other members of Burley’s sales team.
- Provides direction to the Burley sales team toward the measurement and achievement of goals and assigned projects.
- Evaluates and manages performance of direct reports.
- Motivates employees to work more effectively.
- Helps team members grow, advance their skill set and increase contributions to the team.
- Addresses performance concerns in a timely and professional manner.
- Sets example for others by conducting business fairly, honestly and ethically at all times.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- One to two years of direct national account management experience.
- Experience working with distribution partners is a plus.
- Experience working with international partners is a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated strong skills in cooperation, decision-making and problem solving.
- Experience developing budgets and forecasts.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and manage workload in conjunction with deadlines and budget constraints.
- Proven ability to lead by example and effectively coordinate a team of individuals who support multiple business functions.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business data including financial statements.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers and customers.
- Strong experience with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Strong financial and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated work ethic that includes neatness and punctuality.
- Understanding of the hardlines industry and related production, logistics and supply chain functions desirable.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Work area is indoors in a climate-controlled environment with moderate background noise.
- Eight to ten weeks of travel per year is required.
- The ability to set up product displays is required.
- The ability to use a keyboard, and to communicate orally and in writing is required.
- The ability to work extended hours as business needs dictate.
FLSA Status: Exempt