The Senior Product Merchandise Manager is an essential member of the Product Development team who is responsible for Researching, conceiving and creating new and innovative products & technologies consistent with the brands strategic direction. The SPMM with also partner closely with Sales, Planning, and Finance to properly manage product life cycles, develop inventory liquidation strategies and analyze product sales trends. Monitor sell-in, promotional cadence, sell through, inventory liability, etc.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Manage and establish strategic go-to-market process for all accessory, apparel, and product innovation initiatives.
- Establish technology and product hierarchy to deliver effective product segmentation strategies for each distribution channel while maintaining a cohesive brand image.
- Research, conceive and create new and innovative products & technologies. Develop, manage and implement these ideas through the product process from conceptual stage through design, development, launch and market rollout.
- Responsible for product line planning that includes: product lifecycle management, design, pricing, margin, SKU count, marketing communications, and launch strategy for the brand’s apparel and accessory lines.
- Partner with VP of Product Innovation and VP of New Business Development to identify and evaluate prospective technologies, products and companies for potential exclusivity, licensing, acquisition and/or partnership opportunities.
- Develop and manage a product merchandising team responsible for researching and executing all product management and go-to-market strategies.
- Research and understand retailer and key competitor knowledge with respect to financial condition, market share information, trends, marketing claims, and product strategy; react accordingly to ensure market leadership.
- Manage and establish national wholesale pricing, partnering closely with Sales and Operations to provide the best arrangement for both Retail customers and Mission wholesale business, while ensuring that profitability targets are met and improved on an ongoing basis.
- Establish year round blended margin review of categories and accounts to ensure profitability and three-year growth plans are achieved.
- Provide financial analysis of sku productivity, and potential add/drops to maximize sales and margins in mature and new categories.
- Partner closely with Sales, Planning, and Finance to properly manage product life cycles, develop inventory liquidation strategies and analyze product sales trends. Monitor sell-in, promotional cadence, sell through, inventory liability, etc.
- Deliver pre- development product brief’s, sales & merchandising presentations, and product marketing strategies of annual and seasonal merchandising plans.
- Develop pinnacle product merchandising assortments and maximize sales per square foot for Retail Merchandising and Sales execution at store level.
- Work cross functionally with Marketing & manage a streamline packing initiatives to ensure cohesive brand messaging and product feature & benefit content.
- Assist in athlete strategy by distribution channel to ensure resonance with consumer archetype.
- Approve and ensure consistency of the global product assortments and brand strategies in an attempt to streamline minimum ordering quantities.
- Present and sell-in new product introductions and all seasonal merchandising strategies to retail partners.
- Act as commercial liaison/key contact for all new technology partners.
- Act as key contact with legal counsel to conduct global novelty searches on all patent and trademark inquiries and ensure brand integrity.
- Work closely with legal counsel to understand all parameters of Mission licensing contracts: terms, minimum ordering quantities, royalty payments, approved vendor mills, technology & product content requirements, category exclusivity, etc.
- Manage Mission performance wear testing and qualitative research to validate fit, comfort, performance, durability, and consumer appeal.
- 3-5 years (must have product management experience in addition to merchandising)
- Bachelor’s degree or an additional 3+ years of experience
- Travel- minimum 25%.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
This individual demonstrates an interpersonal and creative energy level that fosters excellence and outstanding product merchandising. The SPMM is also capable of thinking outside the box and has demonstrated the ability to determine new and innovative concepts that support product merchandising strategy and strengthen the presence of the brand.